uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) (uk.sci.weather) For the discussion of daily weather events, chiefly affecting the UK and adjacent parts of Europe, both past and predicted. The discussion is open to all, but contributions on a practical scientific level are encouraged.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old December 14th 17, 10:59 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,510
Default West Cornwall, V windy, large hail, severe squalls, torrentialrain/large hail.

Plenty of rain/hail overnight with a very gusty wind, plenty of 40-45mph gusts in Penzance, gust 60mph on cliff tops in showers. Up to 68mph at Lands End yesterday evening, 65mph at St Ives this morning. Wind in the right direction for the flow to be compressed around Land's End.

Absolutely torrential rain & large hail around 10:00 today. It set off car alarms. Popped down to Morrisons (yes, I lead an exciting life) about 15 minutes later, and there were still slicks of hail flowing right across the road, slowing traffic to a crawl - even on the main A30.

It's been a stormy few days here. In the 5 days to 09:00 today 67.5mm of rain. Gusts 60mph locally on 10th, 13th, & today (probably also 11th). 10th saw, quite easily, the strongest gusts of the year in Penzance. Hail has occurred on 8th, 10th, 11th, 13th & 14th.

What it hasn't been is particularly cold, it's just been too windy to allow the temperature to fall. Lowest temperature 3.1C on 9th & 12th. Lowest max 7.4 on 11th. 9th, 10th, 12th & 13th all scraped into double figures.

Sea looks spectacular in the glimpses of sun between the deluges https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Sennen-Webcam/65/

Wind easing at last.

Graham
Penzance




  #2   Report Post  
Old December 14th 17, 12:26 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,510
Default West Cornwall, V windy, large hail, severe squalls, torrentialrain/large hail.

en-Webcam/65/

Wind easing at last.

Graham
Penzance


Spoke too soon! back up to gale force in exposed spots. Recent gust of 65mph at St Ives. It's a very stormy day to have no warning. We've had warnings for wind when it's struggled to exceed 40mph even on the cliffs. Plenty of tree branches lying around, as it so gusty. I'm almost amused at people that don't appreciate why wooden fances are a rarity in west Cornwall, unless the are the 'doub'e types to allow the wind through. LIdl just opened a new store near the prom. There new smart wooden fence is a mere shadow af it's former self after 3 months. There are trying to re-inforce it with wooden supports. Just put a Cornish hedge up! (This is a Cornish hedge - granite & soil http://a4.pbase.com/g9/95/381395/2/1...7.E2XDxqlC.jpg )

Some nice views of the heavy hail showers on the Praa Sands webcam archives for the day https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Praa-Sands-Webcam/10/ Still a couple of surfers in. I can't imagine what it'll feel like getting changed afterwards.

Graham
Penzance
  #3   Report Post  
Old December 14th 17, 12:45 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,510
Default West Cornwall, V windy, large hail, severe squalls, torrentialrain/large hail.

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 1:26:20 PM UTC, Graham Easterling wrote:
en-Webcam/65/

Wind easing at last.

Graham
Penzance


Spoke too soon! back up to gale force in exposed spots. Recent gust of 65mph at St Ives. It's a very stormy day to have no warning. We've had warnings for wind when it's struggled to exceed 40mph even on the cliffs. Plenty of tree branches lying around, as it so gusty. I'm almost amused at people that don't appreciate why wooden fances are a rarity in west Cornwall, unless the are the 'doub'e types to allow the wind through. LIdl just opened a new store near the prom. There new smart wooden fence is a mere shadow af it's former self after 3 months. There are trying to re-inforce it with wooden supports. Just put a Cornish hedge up! (This is a Cornish hedge - granite & soil http://a4.pbase.com/g9/95/381395/2/1...7.E2XDxqlC.jpg )

Some nice views of the heavy hail showers on the Praa Sands webcam archives for the day https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Praa-Sands-Webcam/10/ Still a couple of surfers in. I can't imagine what it'll feel like getting changed afterwards.

Graham
Penzance


Meant too mention, today is giving the lowest 'near noon' temperatures of the winter so far. Down to around 4C in Penzance at noon, 2.8C over the moors during a recent shower. Both a couple of degrees down (at least) on the recent Cornish 'snow warning' day. In fact the lowest temperatures of the day are occurring around now. E.g. at Land's End todays minimum temperature 4..8C @ 13:03 Max temperature 8.1C @ 00:22.

In a near gale, what the Cornish do call 'bitter!'

Graham
Penzance



  #4   Report Post  
Old December 14th 17, 02:48 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,510
Default West Cornwall, V windy, large hail, severe squalls, torrentialrain/large hail.

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 1:45:49 PM UTC, Graham Easterling wrote:
On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 1:26:20 PM UTC, Graham Easterling wrote:
en-Webcam/65/

Wind easing at last.

Graham
Penzance


Spoke too soon! back up to gale force in exposed spots. Recent gust of 65mph at St Ives. It's a very stormy day to have no warning. We've had warnings for wind when it's struggled to exceed 40mph even on the cliffs. Plenty of tree branches lying around, as it so gusty. I'm almost amused at people that don't appreciate why wooden fances are a rarity in west Cornwall, unless the are the 'doub'e types to allow the wind through. LIdl just opened a new store near the prom. There new smart wooden fence is a mere shadow af it's former self after 3 months. There are trying to re-inforce it with wooden supports. Just put a Cornish hedge up! (This is a Cornish hedge - granite & soil http://a4.pbase.com/g9/95/381395/2/1...7.E2XDxqlC.jpg )

Some nice views of the heavy hail showers on the Praa Sands webcam archives for the day https://magicseaweed.com/Live-Praa-Sands-Webcam/10/ Still a couple of surfers in. I can't imagine what it'll feel like getting changed afterwards.

Graham
Penzance


Meant too mention, today is giving the lowest 'near noon' temperatures of the winter so far. Down to around 4C in Penzance at noon, 2.8C over the moors during a recent shower. Both a couple of degrees down (at least) on the recent Cornish 'snow warning' day. In fact the lowest temperatures of the day are occurring around now. E.g. at Land's End todays minimum temperature 4.8C @ 13:03 Max temperature 8.1C @ 00:22.

In a near gale, what the Cornish do call 'bitter!'

Graham
Penzance


The severe weather, gales, hail, snow pellets, soft hail etc. have caused real problems on the roads, because of the intensity of the precipitation. The have been a number of road accidents. At one point the A30 was closed in both directions due to accidents due to the road covered in ice (hail). Someone was airlifted to hospital. A car ended up on it's roof on the Helston to Falmouth road. Proper snow reported at the highest levels.

This was Penzance earlier http://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cor...l-storm-926822 .

The combination of things gave the coldest day, and easily the most severe conditions of the autumn winter. The severe gusts in some of the showers causing a lot of debris to be lying around. Roads are closed near Truro due to fallen trees.

Graham
Penzance

  #5   Report Post  
Old December 14th 17, 05:22 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,088
Default West Cornwall, V windy, large hail, severe squalls, torrentialrain/large hail.

Nice video Graham, I do miss those Cornish hailstorms, especially being woken in the middle of the night.

Very similar day here, without the hail, but very stormy for here and 24.1mm rain since 0000 just from showers and some very impressive ones too. Supposed to turn back to snow overnight.

Very stormy and wet week here, with sometimes snow, sometimes rain, we did hit 6c at one point. 71.3mm rain on Sunday alone, so something around 120mm + since Sunday.

DM. 740m. La Moratille. Correze. France.



  #6   Report Post  
Old December 14th 17, 07:27 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,510
Default West Cornwall, V windy, large hail, severe squalls, torrentialrain/large hail.

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 6:22:57 PM UTC, David Mitchell wrote:
Nice video Graham, I do miss those Cornish hailstorms, especially being woken in the middle of the night.

Very similar day here, without the hail, but very stormy for here and 24.1mm rain since 0000 just from showers and some very impressive ones too. Supposed to turn back to snow overnight.

Very stormy and wet week here, with sometimes snow, sometimes rain, we did hit 6c at one point. 71.3mm rain on Sunday alone, so something around 120mm + since Sunday.

DM. 740m. La Moratille. Correze. France.


Yes, I rather missed all the winter hailstorms when I was inland for a while in London, & later Wootton Bassett. The 'warm' sea does generate a bit of excitement in a cold unstable airstream.

The weather's still causing major issues on the roads. A30 closed again this evening after a crash. Latest news

"Warning has gone out to Cornwall for the drive home, after a series of crashes across Cornwall.

A man has been airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after a crash on the A30. It happened just minutes after a freak hailstorm near Redruth and firefighters had to cut him free. Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service confirmed a stretch of the road was shut for over an hour, to let the helicopter land.

Now (this evening) officials have closed one lane on the A30 at Hayle because of the poor weather conditions."

Amazingly, no weather warnings all day. Today was the 1 day this year there should really have been one, both for wind & intense wintry precipitation.

Good to hear your reports from France.

Graham
Penzance



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Violent squalls around midnight. Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 2 January 1st 16 09:07 PM
Very large swell in west Cornwall Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 3 October 27th 13 01:00 PM
vicious squalls North Leeds jim beam uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 February 29th 08 09:34 PM
Outer Squalls of Dangerous Hurricane Frances Moving Over the Florida East Coast, Weather Should Begin to Deteriorate Gradually NewsBot Latest News 0 March 24th 06 08:04 PM
Cape Verde Island/ West Afrucan Squalls Dave Duncalf sci.geo.meteorology (Meteorology) 0 August 12th 03 05:32 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Weather Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Weather"

 

Copyright © 2017