uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) (uk.sci.weather) For the discussion of daily weather events, chiefly affecting the UK and adjacent parts of Europe, both past and predicted. The discussion is open to all, but contributions on a practical scientific level are encouraged.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 28th 19, 09:29 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Apr 2017
Posts: 5
Default Static hurricanes

I noted some commentary in the last few weeks about climate change and the reason hurricane Dorian was static over the Bahamas.
In 1985 hurricane Elena was static for 4 days off the gulf coast of Florida around the Tampa area.
Rather similar to Dorian I think
I know because it spoiled my honeymoon. Evacuated from the coastal area and holed up in a dingy school gym
with no electricity and 90 ‘f for the duration.

  #2   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 08:49 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,658
Default Static hurricanes

On Saturday, 28 September 2019 09:29:38 UTC+1, wrote:
I noted some commentary in the last few weeks about climate change and the reason hurricane Dorian was static over the Bahamas.
In 1985 hurricane Elena was static for 4 days off the gulf coast of Florida around the Tampa area.
Rather similar to Dorian I think
I know because it spoiled my honeymoon. Evacuated from the coastal area and holed up in a dingy school gym
with no electricity and 90 ‘f for the duration.


How often do those things develop blocks?
I would have thought Blocked Lows on a tropical ocean were impossible, rather like cyclones in Brazil. What do I know?
I am not even a fake meteorologist.
  #3   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 08:51 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,658
Default Static hurricanes

On Friday, 14 February 2020 20:49:53 UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Saturday, 28 September 2019 09:29:38 UTC+1, wrote:
I noted some commentary in the last few weeks about climate change and the reason hurricane Dorian was static over the Bahamas.
In 1985 hurricane Elena was static for 4 days off the gulf coast of Florida around the Tampa area.
Rather similar to Dorian I think
I know because it spoiled my honeymoon. Evacuated from the coastal area and holed up in a dingy school gym
with no electricity and 90 ‘f for the duration.


How often do those things develop blocks?
I would have thought Blocked Lows on a tropical ocean were impossible, rather like cyclones in Brazil. What do I know?
I am not even a fake meteorologist.


'Twould be nice to peruse the TSR archives, or do the insurance people not compile them?
  #4   Report Post  
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,658
Default Static hurricanes

On Friday, 14 February 2020 20:51:50 UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Friday, 14 February 2020 20:49:53 UTC, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Saturday, 28 September 2019 09:29:38 UTC+1, wrote:
I noted some commentary in the last few weeks about climate change and the reason hurricane Dorian was static over the Bahamas.
In 1985 hurricane Elena was static for 4 days off the gulf coast of Florida around the Tampa area.
Rather similar to Dorian I think
I know because it spoiled my honeymoon. Evacuated from the coastal area and holed up in a dingy school gym
with no electricity and 90 ‘f for the duration.


How often do those things develop blocks?
I would have thought Blocked Lows on a tropical ocean were impossible, rather like cyclones in Brazil. What do I know?
I am not even a fake meteorologist.


'Twould be nice to peruse the TSR archives, or do the insurance people not compile them?


Good job there is always astrology:
https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar

It would be interesting to find that there are coincidenta with Dorian. Conversely it will be interesting to find that there are no coincidenta with Dorian. Any non-fake meteorological fans on here care to suggest why?


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Static temperatures in Carmarthen hungerdunger uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 January 16th 11 06:51 PM
Static cloud formation west of Sicily Keith (Southend)G uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 September 16th 09 11:36 AM
Static temparature record? David Mitchell uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 December 15th 07 07:01 PM
Static weather in Brussels Colin Youngs uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 December 7th 04 10:02 PM
Can lightning cause TV-like static in somebody's eyes? Proprclr sci.geo.meteorology (Meteorology) 0 December 23rd 03 10:07 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 Weather Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Weather"

 

Copyright © 2017