uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) (uk.sci.weather) For the discussion of daily weather events, chiefly affecting the UK and adjacent parts of Europe, both past and predicted. The discussion is open to all, but contributions on a practical scientific level are encouraged.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 12th 18, 08:20 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,448
Default Penzance Cold Night, big swell of late

A decidedly chilly night for Penzance in May, A minimum of 4.1c. (Lowest May temp since 1991, - 1.7C)

Sunny start, but large Cb off Land's End, and Cu already building inland. It's pretty unstable.

A big swell of late, far bigger than the local forecast has suggested. Sennen beach has been red flagged recently, and it has to be pretty dangerous for that to happen. It's brought in a fair bit of sand, so constructive rather than destructive.

Still fairly big swell this morning, but a nice wave with the wind currently an offshore F3 SE. https://www.atlanticcottageholidays....m-sennen-cove/ The sand level at the near end of the beach currently higher than at any time since 2014.

Graham
Penzance

  #2   Report Post  
Old May 13th 18, 08:46 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,448
Default Penzance Cold Night, big swell of late

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 9:20:39 AM UTC+1, Graham Easterling wrote:
A decidedly chilly night for Penzance in May, A minimum of 4.1c. (Lowest May temp since 1991, - 1.7C)

Sunny start, but large Cb off Land's End, and Cu already building inland. It's pretty unstable.

A big swell of late, far bigger than the local forecast has suggested. Sennen beach has been red flagged recently, and it has to be pretty dangerous for that to happen. It's brought in a fair bit of sand, so constructive rather than destructive.

Still fairly big swell this morning, but a nice wave with the wind currently an offshore F3 SE. https://www.atlanticcottageholidays....m-sennen-cove/ The sand level at the near end of the beach currently higher than at any time since 2014.

Graham
Penzance


After some sharpshowers (with huge drops) around the middle of the day yesterday (6.4mm) another chilly night. Min 5.3C

A lovely sunny start today.

Still surfy, and a lovely deep blue. http://benatsennen.com/sennen-web-cam/
Fairly gentle F2-3 NNW breeze.

Surf set to decrease with a blocking high to the west. Though still a long period 3-4' swell, even by Wednesday. The swell having travelled right across the Atlantic under the high.

Graham
Penzance
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 13th 18, 03:34 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,087
Default Penzance Cold Night, big swell of late

I remember two, maybe 3 consecutive nights with a really white ground frost in June, 5/6th ish, early 1980's, that was on our farm between Tresillian and Probus. Min was 3c then.
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 14th 18, 08:12 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,448
Default Penzance Cold Night, big swell of late

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 4:34:42 PM UTC+1, David Mitchell wrote:
I remember two, maybe 3 consecutive nights with a really white ground frost in June, 5/6th ish, early 1980's, that was on our farm between Tresillian and Probus. Min was 3c then.


Still getting chilly nights. Min 4.1C in Penzance last night. 2.8C over the nearby moors http://www.greatbosullow.net/

Lovely day yesterday, with near normal temperatures, max of 15.8C in Penzance, but little wind, even on the cliff top at Land's End, where the visibility was excellent. Scilly clearly visible.

A Sc out to sea, sunny beach, small low cloud base Cu over the land start to the day https://www.atlanticcottageholidays....m-sennen-cove/
Swells really gone down now.

Graham
Penzance

  #5   Report Post  
Old May 16th 18, 06:54 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2015
Posts: 736
Default Penzance Cold Night, big swell of late

On 14/05/2018 09:12, Graham Easterling wrote:
Still getting chilly nights. Min 4.1C in Penzance last night. 2.8C over the nearby moors http://www.greatbosullow.net/


And here Graham. With the exception of last night (minimum of 10.9C),
most nights have been on the cold side this month though no frosts
(thankfully).

My mean minimum temperature (1st - 16th) is now at 6.0C which is well
over 2C below my very estimated LTA.

Meanwhile my mean maximum is at 18.7C, which is 2.0C above my eLTA and
brings the month to within 0.2C of normal. Given the forecast and the
2nd half of May usually being much warmer than the 1st half, I suspect
this month's overall mean will end up well-above average.

--
Nick Gardner
Otter Valley, Devon
20 m amsl
http://www.ottervalleyweather.me.uk


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Big Spring Tides, big swell & strong winds Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 5 October 10th 14 06:27 AM
Penzance - No Rain, Big Swell Graham Easterling[_2_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 February 22nd 10 09:46 AM
Big Swell & Rough Sea - again. Graham Easterling[_2_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 1 August 18th 08 04:45 PM
Big Tides, Swell & Murk Graham Easterling[_2_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 11 October 28th 07 04:48 PM
Cornwall - Big Swell Graham Easterling uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 7 May 20th 07 02:55 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Weather Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Weather"

 

Copyright © 2017