uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) (uk.sci.weather) For the discussion of daily weather events, chiefly affecting the UK and adjacent parts of Europe, both past and predicted. The discussion is open to all, but contributions on a practical scientific level are encouraged.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old August 6th 15, 09:46 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,584
Default Cold Radiation

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 21:05:35 UTC+1, Alan LeHun wrote:

No. It is because there is less radiation from the walls, not that the
radiation is inherently colder. The distinction is important.

It is the same radiation being emitted by all subjects.


It is not the same radiation. It has a different spectrum based on Kirchhoff's Law. It is not just less intense. Anyway, less intense, colder, what's in a name?

But you lot obviously believe I am wrong. I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical argument, so I won't waste any more of my time trying to enlighten you.

Cheers, Alastair.

  #22   Report Post  
Old August 6th 15, 10:07 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,027
Default Cold Radiation

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:46:59 PM UTC-4, Alastair wrote:

I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical argument...

========

Yes. That's the struggle we are all having! See logical arguments above.

Stephen.
  #23   Report Post  
Old August 6th 15, 10:08 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,730
Default Cold Radiation

On Thursday, 6 August 2015 22:46:59 UTC+1, Alastair wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 21:05:35 UTC+1, Alan LeHun wrote:

No. It is because there is less radiation from the walls, not that the
radiation is inherently colder. The distinction is important.

It is the same radiation being emitted by all subjects.


It is not the same radiation. It has a different spectrum based on Kirchhoff's Law. It is not just less intense. Anyway, less intense, colder, what's in a name?

But you lot obviously believe I am wrong. I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical argument, so I won't waste any more of my time trying to enlighten you.

Cheers, Alastair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's all about dark matter and black holes.

;-)

Len
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  #24   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 04:54 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,601
Default Cold Radiation

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 10:46:59 PM UTC+1, Alastair wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 21:05:35 UTC+1, Alan LeHun wrote:

No. It is because there is less radiation from the walls, not that the
radiation is inherently colder. The distinction is important.

It is the same radiation being emitted by all subjects.


It is not the same radiation. It has a different spectrum based on Kirchhoff's Law. It is not just less intense. Anyway, less intense, colder, what's in a name?

But you lot obviously believe I am wrong. I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical argument, so I won't waste any more of my time trying to enlighten you.

Cheers, Alastair.


You are joking. Now you are proposing a different radiation spectrum!!

Lead us to a single scientific paper which says that energy will flow from cold to warm without a separate source of energy to boost this process.

You do not appear to have been able to re-write the second law of thermodynamics, but you still cling to this stupidity about cold radiation.

Why?
  #25   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 04:56 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,601
Default Cold Radiation

On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 10:46:59 PM UTC+1, Alastair wrote:
On Thursday, 6 August 2015 21:05:35 UTC+1, Alan LeHun wrote:

No. It is because there is less radiation from the walls, not that the
radiation is inherently colder. The distinction is important.

It is the same radiation being emitted by all subjects.


It is not the same radiation. It has a different spectrum based on Kirchhoff's Law. It is not just less intense. Anyway, less intense, colder, what's in a name?

But you lot obviously believe I am wrong. I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical argument, so I won't waste any more of my time trying to enlighten you.

Cheers, Alastair.


You have been shown to be an idiot and have decided that you know better than every single physicist alive today.

The Earth is flat too. It's an established fact for a few. laughing


  #26   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 07:28 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,280
Default Cold Radiation


"Stephen Davenport" wrote in message
...
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:46:59 PM UTC-4, Alastair wrote:

I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical
argument...

========

Yes. That's the struggle we are all having! See logical arguments above.


I don't see any arguments "above", just a quote from Alastair? Do you mean
earlier in the thread rather than "above"?

Will
--
http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Hayt...antage_Pro.htm
Will Hand (Haytor, Devon, 1017 feet asl)
---------------------------------------------

  #27   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 08:33 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Mar 2008
Posts: 10,601
Default Cold Radiation

On Friday, August 7, 2015 at 8:28:19 AM UTC+1, wrote:
"Stephen Davenport" wrote in message
...
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 5:46:59 PM UTC-4, Alastair wrote:

I have long discovered that you cannot change a man's beliefs with logical
argument...

========

Yes. That's the struggle we are all having! See logical arguments above.


I don't see any arguments "above", just a quote from Alastair? Do you mean
earlier in the thread rather than "above"?

Will
--
http://www.lyneside.demon.co.uk/Hayt...antage_Pro.htm
Will Hand (Haytor, Devon, 1017 feet asl)
---------------------------------------------


Of course he does. Try a comment on 'cold radiation' instead of silly nitpicking.
  #28   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 09:21 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,683
Default Cold Radiation

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 07:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
Alastair wrote:

Dawlish,

On Page 576 of University Physics with Modern Physics, Technology
Update, Thirteenth Edition (2010), which continues to set the
benchmark for clarity and rigor combined with effective teaching and
research-based innovation, they write:

"Radiation. Heat transfer by radiation is important in some
surprising places. A premature baby in an incubator can be cooled
dangerously by radiation if the walls of the incubator happened to be
cold, even when the air in the incubator is warm. Some incubators
regulate the temperature measuring the baby's skin ..."

Hot objects radiate heat which warms adjacent objects. Cold objects
radiate cold which cools adjects objects. The latter is difficult to
demonstrate because it is more difficult to maintain a constant cold
temperature than a high temperture. The latter is easy using
electrical heating. However, holding a thermnometer over an object
taken from a freezer will cause the temperature shown to drop.

I hope you will now realise that you are wrong, will apologise and
admit your mistake. Cold radiation does exist.


Yes, cold radiation exists, in the same way that the centrifugal force
doesn't.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks. [Retd meteorologist/programmer]
http://www.scarlet-jade.com/
I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Posted with Claws: http://www.claws-mail.org/



  #29   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 10:24 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jan 2015
Posts: 451
Default Cold Radiation

On 06/08/15 15:52, Alastair wrote:

Hot objects radiate heat which warms adjacent objects. Cold objects
radiate cold which cools adjects objects. The latter is difficult to
demonstrate because it is more difficult to maintain a constant cold
temperature than a high temperture. The latter is easy using
electrical heating. However, holding a thermnometer over an object
taken from a freezer will cause the temperature shown to drop.


I thought I would read up on this subject and have a wee think before
making a fool of myself here. I have completed steps one and two so here
we go with the last part:

The Earth is warm enough because of heat radiating from the hot Sun.
Pretty Pluto is very cold because it is so far from the Sun.

Charon is cold because:

a) it is just as far from the Sun as Pluto, or
b) the cold radiating from Pluto makes Charon cold.

Similarly, space is cold because:

a) there are invisible cold bodies cooling it down, or
b) it is empty so there is nothing there to warm it up.

This leads me to the conclusion that the default sate of existence is
cold unless someone/something turns the heat on.

Items in a freezer are colder because the equipment sucks any heat out
of them which is why you could fry an egg on the back of the fridge
(give or take).

You may laugh now. Thank you and goodnight

--
A S #WE
http://minnies.opcop.org.uk
http://nature.opcop.org.uk
http://pictures.opcop.org.uk
  #30   Report Post  
Old August 7th 15, 10:24 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,730
Default Cold Radiation

On Friday, 7 August 2015 10:21:54 UTC+1, Graham P Davis wrote:
On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 07:52:07 -0700 (PDT)


Yes, cold radiation exists, in the same way that the centrifugal force
doesn't.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks. [Retd meteorologist/programmer]
http://www.scarlet-jade.com/
I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.
Posted with Claws: http://www.claws-mail.org/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems Alastair is living in a parallel universe with anti-matter.

Len


----------------------------------------------------------------------




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Penzance - Very still morning. No cold radiation Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 26 September 24th 16 08:19 PM
Wanted - Solar radiation information for Leicester Stuart Robinson uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 January 13th 05 12:26 AM
Incident Solar Radiation levels Steven Briggs uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 2 December 15th 04 06:50 PM
Hurricanes and solar radiation Michael McNeil uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 November 29th 03 12:15 AM
tree preventing radiation joes uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 2 September 8th 03 04:40 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 Weather Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Weather"

 

Copyright © 2017