uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) (uk.sci.weather) For the discussion of daily weather events, chiefly affecting the UK and adjacent parts of Europe, both past and predicted. The discussion is open to all, but contributions on a practical scientific level are encouraged.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old February 5th 13, 08:18 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,012
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

The gales over, highest gust I've seen locally was 67kn at at St.Ives. Now the big swell's coming in, see http://www.channelcoast.org/data_man...arts/?chart=76 for Perranporth (scale is in metres not feet!) Sadly no reports from SEvenstones this morning.

Still looks pretty blustery out at Gwithian http://www.sunset-surf.com/Surf-Check

Graham
Penzance



  #2   Report Post  
Old February 5th 13, 08:35 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,075
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 01:18:21 -0800 (PST), Graham Easterling wrote:

http://www.channelcoast.org/data_man...e_data/charts/
?chart=76 for Perranporth (scale is in metres not feet!)


Some one ought to tell their web designer that white text on a white
background isn't easy to read. The column headings with the blue to white
graded background.

How come the "Wave Height is 14.02 m and the Max Wave Height is 7.2 m? (At
0830 this morning). Presumably Hs is a mean of some sort?

Are there similar sites for the other coasts?

--
Cheers Dave.
Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL.



  #3   Report Post  
Old February 5th 13, 08:53 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,012
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

SNIP

How come the "Wave Height is 14.02 m and the Max Wave Height is 7.2 m? (At
0830 this morning). Presumably Hs is a mean of some sort?

Yes, the Hs is probably the most meaningful figure, the green line on the chart. It's defined as the mean wave height (trough to crest) of the highest third of the waves. So you'll get odd waves (freak in media terms!) a good deal bigger.


Are there similar sites for the other coasts?


Cheers Dave.

Nr Garrigill, Cumbria. 421m ASL.



Yes, see http://www.channelcoast.org/data_man...e_data/charts/ click on the post icon, and choose 'view chart'

Graham
Penzance


  #4   Report Post  
Old February 5th 13, 09:52 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Oct 2008
Posts: 386
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

Graham Easterling wrote:

The gales over, highest gust I've seen locally was 67kn at at St.Ives. Now the big swell's coming in, see http://www.channelcoast.org/data_man...arts/?chart=76 for Perranporth (scale is in metres not feet!) Sadly no reports from SEvenstones this morning.

Still looks pretty blustery out at Gwithian http://www.sunset-surf.com/Surf-Check

Graham
Penzance


This link from the Marine Energy test site in Orkney may be of interest,
Graham.
http://www.emec.org.uk/blog-extreme-...t-billia-croo/
--
MCC
  #5   Report Post  
Old February 5th 13, 10:10 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,012
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 10:52:49 AM UTC, MCC wrote:
Graham Easterling wrote:

The gales over, highest gust I've seen locally was 67kn at at St.Ives. Now the big swell's coming in, see http://www.channelcoast.org/data_man...arts/?chart=76 for Perranporth (scale is in metres not feet!) Sadly no reports from SEvenstones this morning.


Still looks pretty blustery out at Gwithian http://www.sunset-surf.com/Surf-Check


Graham
Penzance


This link from the Marine Energy test site in Orkney may be of interest,
Graham.

http://www.emec.org.uk/blog-extreme-...t-billia-croo/

--

MCC


Indeed, I think it's now biggest off SW Ireland, looking spectacular at Sennen, http://www.sennen-cove.com/harbourcam.htm I hope to pop out to see this afternoon.

Graham



  #6   Report Post  
Old February 6th 13, 10:44 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,012
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:18:21 AM UTC, Graham Easterling wrote:
The gales over, highest gust I've seen locally was 67kn at at St.Ives. Now the big swell's coming in, see http://www.channelcoast.org/data_man...arts/?chart=76 for Perranporth (scale is in metres not feet!) Sadly no reports from SEvenstones this morning.


Graham
Penzance


Wind increased again last night, still very strong on the north coast, recent 55kn gust at St Ives.

Looks pretty in the sunshine though, the Pembroke dangler (so far!) has remained just a few miles to the east http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ so fairly sunny & dry here.

Someone wipe the salt spray off the camera lens! http://www.sennen-cove.com/harbourcam.htm

Graham
Penzance
  #7   Report Post  
Old February 6th 13, 12:02 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by Weather-Banter: Oct 2008
Posts: 386
Default West Cornwall - 1st a Gale now a big swell

Graham Easterling wrote:

Wind increased again last night, still very strong on the north coast,
recent 55kn gust at St Ives.

Looks pretty in the sunshine though, the Pembroke dangler (so far!) has
remained just a few miles to the east http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ so
fairly sunny & dry here.


That dangler is right over the top of us here in Stithians. We've suffered
some really squally showers during the forenoon. Bright in between.
--
MCC


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
West Cornwall - 3rd day of a big swell. Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 4 December 18th 12 02:18 PM
West Cornwall - Gale to Severe gale Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 1 January 3rd 12 08:02 AM
West Cornwall, Lighter winds, BIG swell Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 0 July 7th 11 12:22 PM
West Cornwall Big Swell Now - Bright still Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 2 October 9th 10 03:13 PM
West Cornwall - Sunshine & a Big Swell Graham Easterling[_3_] uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) 9 October 6th 10 10:34 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 Weather Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Weather"

 

Copyright © 2017