A Weather forum. Weather Banter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Weather Banter forum » Weather Related Newsgroups » uk.sci.weather (UK Weather)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.sci.weather (UK Weather) (uk.sci.weather) For the discussion of daily weather events, chiefly affecting the UK and adjacent parts of Europe, both past and predicted. The discussion is open to all, but contributions on a practical scientific level are encouraged.

60 years ago - 26 October 1949



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 26th 09, 08:44 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 139
Default 60 years ago - 26 October 1949

This date has always stuck in my memory. I was taking thermometer readings
3 times a day from an instrument on a north facing wall in 1949.
October had been a warm month and lunchtime readings had been near 21c
almost daily until the 15th, after which they dropped nearer to 15c. A final
burst of warmth provided 20c on the 25th, but then a strong north wind sent
readings into a steep decline. The morning temperature on the 26th was 15c,
but by lunchtime it was down to 9c; it was a day of heavy rain which cleared
late in the afternoon. The first air frost of the season followed 2 mornings
later.
I logged 10 foggy mornings in that month, and on the 30th it persisted all
day. I don't register more than about 5 foggy mornings annually these
days.

Peter Clarke
Ewell, Epsom

  #2  
Old October 26th 09, 10:11 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,303
Default 60 years ago - 26 October 1949

On Oct 26, 8:44*am, "peter clarke" wrote:
This date has always stuck in my memory. I was taking * thermometer readings
3 times a day from an instrument on a north facing wall in 1949.
October had been a warm month and lunchtime readings had been near 21c
almost daily until the 15th, after which they dropped nearer to 15c. A final
burst of warmth provided *20c on the 25th, but then a strong north wind sent
readings into a steep decline. The morning temperature on the 26th was 15c,
but by lunchtime it was down to 9c; it was a day of heavy rain which cleared
late in the afternoon. The first air frost of the season followed 2 mornings
later.
I logged 10 foggy mornings in that month, and on the 30th it persisted all
day. *I don't *register more than about 5 foggy mornings annually these
days.

Peter Clarke
Ewell, Epsom


The Clean Air Act of 1956 reduced the number of fogs. Interesting
though that it was so warm for so long in Oct 1949. This sort of thing
happening now in autumn is put down to global warming.

Len
Wembury, SW Devon
  #3  
Old October 26th 09, 10:57 AM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,565
Default 60 years ago - 26 October 1949

Len Wood wrote:

Interesting
though that it was so warm for so long in Oct 1949.


Twenty years later also produced a very warm, sunny and dry October with
southerly winds for the most part. November was cold, snowy, with mainly
northerly winds. Well predicted by end of October monthly forecast.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. E-mail: newsman not newsboy
"I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."
  #4  
Old October 26th 09, 02:10 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,159
Default 60 years ago - 26 October 1949

On Oct 26, 10:57*am, Graham P Davis wrote:
Len Wood wrote:
Interesting
though that it was so warm for so long in Oct 1949.


Twenty years later also produced a very warm, sunny and dry October with
southerly winds for the most part. November was cold, snowy, with mainly
northerly winds. Well predicted by end of October monthly forecast.

--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. *E-mail: newsman not newsboy
"I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."



Not by anyone with sense, though, Graham. It has been warm in many
previous Octobers, compared to the October mean in the UK and warmer
than it is presently; hence the date records still existing from the
past. This week's forecast warmth is probably only a small amount down
to background warming and almost everything to do with local (ie UK/
Western Europe) synoptics. A little more relevant to GW are the
numbers of record max UK date records (lots), compared to the numbers
of cold ones (far less) in the last 25 years, the numbers of record
monthly UK max records in the last 25 years (many), compared to record
monthly min records (none?), or even better, the numbers of record
warm UK years (many) compared to record cold years (none and nowhere
near a record cold year) in the last 25 years, but even so, we are
only looking at a tiny area of the world. It is the numbers of these
things in the UK that can count as evidence of regional warming and
probably GW, but not each, or probably any, individual occurrence.

I think I know what you are getting at and I have real annoyance, even
despair, at people who attribute individual UK events to GW. The press
will do and say what they will, as will the less informed on both
sides of the GW fence, but anyone who puts a UK warm month, or
particular warm spells, "down to GW", without adding a mass of
context, is plain wrong IMO. I'm sure any climatologist would say the
same.

PS I say exactly the same of people who snapshot record cold in a
particular area of the world at a particular time and present it as
evidence that the world is actually cooling.
  #5  
Old October 26th 09, 02:21 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,303
Default 60 years ago - 26 October 1949

On Oct 26, 2:10*pm, Dawlish wrote:
On Oct 26, 10:57*am, Graham P Davis wrote:

Len Wood wrote:
Interesting
though that it was so warm for so long in Oct 1949.


Twenty years later also produced a very warm, sunny and dry October with
southerly winds for the most part. November was cold, snowy, with mainly
northerly winds. Well predicted by end of October monthly forecast.


--
Graham P Davis, Bracknell, Berks., UK. *E-mail: newsman not newsboy
"I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."


Not by anyone with sense, though, Graham. It has been warm in many
previous Octobers, compared to the October mean in the UK and warmer
than it is presently; hence the date records still existing from the
past. This week's forecast warmth is probably only a small amount down
to background warming and almost everything to do with local (ie UK/
Western Europe) synoptics. A little more relevant to GW are the
numbers of record max UK date records (lots), compared to the numbers
of cold ones (far less) in the last 25 years, the numbers of record
monthly UK max records in the last 25 years (many), compared to record
monthly min records (none?), or even better, the numbers of record
warm UK years (many) compared to record cold years (none and nowhere
near a record cold year) in the last 25 years, but even so, we are
only looking at a tiny area of the world. It is the numbers of these
things in the UK that can count as evidence of regional warming and
probably GW, but not each, or probably any, individual occurrence.

I think I know what you are getting at and I have real annoyance, even
despair, at people who attribute individual UK events to GW. The press
will do and say what they will, as will the less informed on both
sides of the GW fence, but anyone who puts a UK warm month, or
particular warm spells, "down to GW", without adding a mass of
context, is plain wrong IMO. I'm sure any climatologist would say the
same.

PS I say exactly the same of people who snapshot record cold in a
particular area of the world at a particular time and present it as
evidence that the world is actually cooling.


Exactly so. As my veiled comment implied.

If only the press had heard about global warming in those days, it
would not have stopped them regionalising it.

Len
  #6  
Old October 28th 09, 02:01 PM posted to uk.sci.weather
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,885
Default 60 years ago - 26 October 1949

On Oct 26, 2:21*pm, Len Wood wrote:

If only the press had heard about global warming in those days, it
would not have stopped them regionalising it.


At least they are keeping it global. Who know what they will do with
it to sell Martians newspapers when they find out it has an
atmosphere.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 Weather Banter.
The comments are property of their posters.